Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Have Been Blessed

While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being- Psalm 146:2

Charles Spurgeon wrote in The Treasury of David, as we enter Psalm 146, “We are now among the Hallelujahs”. I would have to agree with him. At this point in the book of Psalms, we are past the troubles and trials that have plagued the men which penned the words to these inspired hymns. No more do we hear of the valley of the shadow of death. There is no more mention of the day of trouble. He has no more worries about weeping enduring for the night. Now we have come to the home stretch. We are at the point when the rubber meets the spiritual road. He is about to sum up the purpose of life and that purpose is to Praise the Lord.

I believe the Psalmist is coming to the end of his days and makes a solemn vow as he cries from his heart, While I live will I praise the Lord. He has seen what is truly important. This old man has been through the ringer. He has witnessed the high days and experienced the low ones as well. He knows how it feels to be battered by the storms of life. He has felt the betrayal of friends and family. Yet, he doesn’t mention them at this hour in his life. At this point, they are a distant memory. From this point forward the only words that will fill his mouth are words of praise. The only sounds that will penetrate his lips will be sounds of adoration. His heart is set. His mind is made up. He is going to Praise the Lord.

My friend, this is a lesson that we all need to store in the treasure chest of our heart. What happened to the people who will praise God? Paul said it best in II Timothy when he described the last day’s generation as ungrateful. But, here is my question, Has God ceased to do mighty things? Has He stopped being holy? Is He no longer righteous? No! No! No! The God that I serve is still a holy God. He is still the mighty God. He is the one who rolled back the Red Sea. He knocked down the walls at Jericho. He is the chariot of fire. He is the holy one of Israel. He is still the head of the church. He still has the power over death, hell, and the grave. He is the one who saved my soul. He established my goings. He is preparing me a place in Heaven. And one day, He is going to call me from this world of sin into His glorious presence. I have reason to praise the Lord.

What about you? Have you nothing to praise God for? Stop thinking about all the things you don’t have. Don’t worry about that home you can’t afford. Don’t fret over that car you don’t need. Focus on the blessings God has already given. Has he saved your soul? Have you been washed in the blood of the precious lamb of God? How about your family? Your friends? Think of the blessings right under your nose. Did you enjoy the food God gave you yesterday? Oh my brother, let us cry everyday of our life like the psalmist, While I live will I praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment