Monday, April 12, 2010

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

As a young boy I remember the nightly ritual that transpired before I would pillow my head to sleep. I would brush my teeth, wash my face, put on my pajamas, and say a little prayer. This is the nightly ritual for most children before they pillow their head at night. The little prayer that parents teach their children to say serves two purposes: it builds the habit of prayer in their life and it gives them a sense of security in God the Father. Often times the night brings fear and fright into the hearts of children, which keeps them from getting a good night’s rest. As the adolescent years give way to teen years, this fear seems to flee the minds of unsuspecting young people as they nightly sleep with little care or concern. But something happens as they grow out of their teen years and become young adults and ultimately full-grown adults, this fear of the night returns. Many fear intruders. Some fear torrential weather. Some worry about the events of tomorrow. Whatever the case, fear grips their heart and hinders them from sleeping in peace.

May I say this is not the will of God. God wishes that all His children slumber in peace. He does not desire you to fear every noise that sounds in the night. He gave sleep to be a blessing, not a burden. God has promised to protect as we sleep and to doubt that is an attack upon sovereignty. He does not yearn for you to stay awake through the night worrying about the torments of the unknown or the problems of tomorrow. Fret not; if tomorrow holds a problem, God is already there. The psalmist boldly proclaimed that he would rest at night because the Lord guards and keeps. The God that redeemed us from sin’s power is the God that protects us through the night. Sleep in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment