Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Cry Of The Crowd

But they cried, saying, Crucify him, crucify him
Luke 23:21


There as Jesus stood, He heard the words that He dreaded to hear since the foundation of the worlds were laid. He knew they coming, yet they were still startling. As He stood there silently, he heard the chant of the crowd as they yelled over and over again, Crucify him, Crucify him! I am sure He thought in His mind, is this not the same crowds that were waiving palm branches less than a week ago? Are these not the blinded eyes that I have touched? Are these not the withered hands that I have healed? Yet, the Lamb stood silently before His shearers.

As I sit here and ponder this thought, it is easy to cast judgment upon those people that yelled, Crucify him! It is easy on this side of Calvary to see their wrong. It is easy to hurl accusations at them. It is easy to pile charges against them. But in my heart of hearts, I wonder; If I had been there that day among the crowds that stood in front of Pilate’s judgment hall watching Jesus of Nazareth being tried, what would I have said? Would I have stood up and declared Jesus’ innocence? Would I have run past the Roman guards that stood by and attempted to set this Healer free? Would I have walked down the Via Dolorosa in an attempt to give the Water of Life a sponge of water to drink? Or would I have been like the rest of the crowd that day and jeered, Crucify him! Would my voice have rung in the ears of the Savior as saying, Crucify! Would my mortal voice have spoken hatred into the ears of the everlasting God?

My heart cannot help but wonder about that as I sit here. I can but hope that I would have been different than the rest of the crowd. I shall never know. But I do know that I have been saved by His marvelous grace. I am a recipient of undeserved mercy. When my voice was raised in animosity toward the Savior, He still loved me. Oh what wonderful love that will not leave me. No wonder Paul wrote, Who can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus? It is a love that goes beyond our cry to Crucify. It is a love that forgives our past failures. Oh what love divine that saved a soul such as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment