Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Sufficient Savior

I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Psalm 91:2


The Psalmist speaks with full assurance and confidence here as he pens these words under inspiration of the Holy Spirit. There are two expressions of sureness that catch the attention of the reader. He says, “I will say of the Lord” and “in him will I trust.” Both leave the indelible mark that the psalmist is unshaken to the fact that he can truly trust not only upon the Lord, but also in the Lord. Dear friend, as you read, do not be taken with the attitude that the psalmist was a lunatic, that he had no idea what he was talking about, or the fact that didn’t have the problems like you or I have. Charles Spurgeon gives authorship of this psalm to Moses and we know Moses was a man acquainted with burdens, sorrow, and grief like no other man. He saw the pitfalls of sin upon his people and his own life. He had known the pain of friends and family who abandon. But he still writes and says, “in him [God] will I trust.”

The Psalmist does not leave the reader inquiring as to his faith because he gives the reasons as to why he can say with full assurance, “I will trust God”. He uses three adjectives to describe the Lord. First, he says, “He is my refuge.” This speaks to the serenity found only in the Lord. God is the one who grants peace. No wonder it was Jesus who spoke peace to the storm as the waves crashed upon the disciples. He was the one who was not overtaken by the storm but rather He walked on the water. Are you worried and weary? He stands ready to be your refuge.

The author continues by saying, “He is my fortress.” This phrase speaks to the security of the Lord’s sovereignty. Oh how badly we need the security of the Lord in our day. Is there any wonder why Noah felt safe inside the ark built to God’s specifications? It was a vessel that could handle the pressures of the outside. We need to remember that God is still the solid foundation upon which our life is built. My friend, though the winds and storms are howling, we will endure because we are safely settled in the fortress of God’s power.

The last phrase used by the Psalmist to describe the Lord is, “He is my God.” This is not a phrase of identification, but rather of attribution. The psalmist is speaking to the sufficiency of the Lord. Moses could trust in the Lord because he saw the manna fall faithfully every morning. He drank from the water that came from the rock. He watched God preserve the clothes on his back through forty years of wilderness wandering. My friend, if this man of God can put his trust in the Lord, surely you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment